Saturday, June 25, 2011

Seattle Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon

What to do, what to do...

And the moment of truth...two roads diverged on the marathon course. Did Endorphin Dude take the left or the right? Drum roll please...the answer is...drum roll please...13.1. This marathon caped crusader gave his best, but after being hit with kidney stones the day before, he just couldn't muster up the energy to complete the full marathon. E-Dude veered off and completed the half.

I don't like downgrading.  If I'm registered for a full marathon, I want to run that full marathon!  However, it just wasn't in the cards for me this time around.  I showed up on race day with every intent of running 26.2 miles, but by mile three, I came to the realization that that was a fantasy.  Exhaustion kicked in quickly and my lungs felt deflated.  All this because of a kidney stone bulldozing its way through my insides.  

It all started right before I boarded my flight to Seattle.  I saw the first two signs of kidney stones and I immediately knew that my weekend was doomed.  On the plane, I drank as much water as I possibly could in order to flush that little sucker out.  I began to feel sharp pains and when the plane landed, nausea kicked in.  I'm not going to get into the gory details, but let's just say that for the next 12 hours, my sister, nephew, and niece had to endure the unpleasant sight and sounds of a very sick Endorphin Dude in pain!  Thankfully, I packed some prescription pain killers which alleviated some of the pain.  All night long, I drank gallons and gallons of water hoping to pass that stone.  No luck.  Fortunately, by mid morning, the stone must have moved to a different part of my body because I didn't feel that sharp pain anymore.  However, by then, all my energy was completely zapped, and making it to the expo proved to be a huge challenge.  Nonetheless, I put on my game face and showed no sign of agony!  Seeing all my running friends at the expo and then later at the carbo load dinner definitely helped get me into the spirit of the marathon.

It's Endorphin Dude and Scott Jurek!
Finally, I get to meet the running Calley family!
Who the heck is this guy anyway? I see him everywhere.
Me and the boys.
Endorphin Dude and the funniest chick in Seattle.

Aside from the disappointment of me not being able to count this marathon toward my Titanium quest, I was really bummed that I couldn't give 100% at the race where my nephew Michael and niece Teresa were makng their half marathon debuts.  It would have been nice to have been able to cross the finish line at roughly the same time, but I struggled and ultimately completed the 13.1 miles in about 4 hours and 15 minutes.  I just couldn't bear the thought of the DNF in Seattle, especially with my family there.  I'm bummed that I wasn't able to get the 26.2 miles in, but at least I did finish the half marathon and still stayed on track for the Rock Idol medal.  The road to that finish line was tough, but what got me there was my drive and the many familiar faces out there who knew I was in pain and cheered me on.

There's my awesome niece Teresa.  She passed up Uncle Endorphin Dude at mile 6!
Gotta get that group shot in.
This guy saved me. Dr. Soriano was my psychiatrist at my mile 11 his mile 14. A colossal melt down nearly derailed me but he got me back on track.  Thanks Louie!
Gotta get the shot with the cheerleaders!
And toenails are for sissies, too!
Finish line group shot with some Marathon Maniacs. Only two of them are in Maniac gear!
Malain and Natalie of The Competitor Group at the finish line.  I love these girls.
You gotta love this shot.  I do.
And here I am with Steven Yee, Mr. Marathon Maniac President!

I am proud to say that I completed my 39th life time half marathon.  Do you know what makes me even prouder?  Michael and Teresa.  These two are running superstars.  Teresa finished in a little over two and half hours and speedy Michael got the job done in 2:09!  Now here's the kicker: later that night Michael said to me, "I want to become a Half Fanatic."  SCORE!!!!  I pulled up the Half Fanatics race calendar and together we found races that would qualify him.  Teresa then said, "Hey, I want to become a Half Fanatic too!"  First my sister Diane, and now the my nephew and niece.  Woo Hoo!

Congratulations Michael & Teresa!